I made this recipe out of ingredients from the pantry and mostly on hand. My father-in-law had purchased the shrimp and Bruce purchased the cheese and mushrooms for me.
- 8 oz thin spaghetti
- Water to cook spaghetti
- 1 lb headless uncooked shrimp, peeled
- 1 tablespoon dried basil (fresh would be better and maybe 1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons)
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1 lemon, peel grated and the lemon juiced
- 1 medium sized tomato, diced
- 4 to 6 oz of mushrooms, sliced
- 3 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt to taste
- Ground black pepper to taste or red pepper flakes to taste
Large skillet, large pot, grater, cutting board, knife, small heat proof bowl or a coffee mug, colander
- Prep all the ingredients. Peel the shrimp, slice the garlic, dice the tomatoes, slice the mushrooms, grate the lemon peel, cut the lemon in half and juice it.
- Put the dried basil in the small heat proof bowl and pour the 1/2 cup of boiling water over it.
- Fill the large pot with water and salt it. It should taste salty. Bring the water to a boil over high heat. While waiting for the water to boil, do the next steps.
- Add the oil to the large skillet and add the butter. Heat over medium heat until the butter has melted.
- Sauté the sliced garlic in the oil and butter for about 30 seconds.
- Add the sliced mushrooms and tomatoes to the oil and butter. Sauté until the tomato has started to break down.
- Add the water and basil to the mushrooms and tomato. Stir.
- Add the shrimp and stir. Cook the shrimp until pink. About 5 minutes.
- Add the grated lemon peel and lemon juice.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat.
- Once the large pot of water comes to a roiling boil, add the spaghetti to the pot. Cook until it has just a little bit of firmness left.
- Save about a cup of pasta water and drain the pasta.
- Put the pasta back into the large pot and toss in the shrimp mixture.
- Toss until the spaghetti is coated.
- Add the cup of grated Parmesan cheese and some of the hot pasta water to the spaghetti. Toss to melt the cheese and then serve.