The ribs come out with a slight sweet and smoky taste. The apple sauce seems to prevent the ribs from drying out. Bruce really loves this recipe.
- 1 to 2 racks of ribs (3 lbs)
- 2 tablespoons of apple sauce for each rack of ribs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 4 dashes of liquid smoke for each rack of ribs
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar
6 to 8 quart Instant Pot, Grill, tongs, Instant Pot rack, small bowl, paper towels, foil, knife
- Mix together the salt, garlic powder, onion powder, chipotle powder, black pepper, cumin, and coriander in a small bowl
- Remove membranes from the back of ribs, if needed.
- If one rack, cut the rack into two pieces.
- Pat the ribs dry with paper towels.
- Rub in 2 dashes of the liquid smoke on the meat side of the ribs, turn over the ribs and rub in 2 dashes of the liquid smoke on the bone side of the ribs.
- Rub in 1 tablespoon of apples sauce on the meat side of the ribs, turn over the ribs and rub in 1 tablespoon of apples sauce on the bone side of the ribs
- Rub in the salt and spice mixture on each side of the ribs.
- Pour in the vinegar and water into Instant Pot inner pot. Put the Instant Pot rack into the Instant Pot. Turn on the Saute function for 5 minutes while the dry rub sits on the ribs. This will heat up the liquid and make the Instant Pot come up to pressure sooner.
- Once the Saute function is done, hit cancel.
- Carefully, stand the ribs along the edge of the Instant Pot with the meat side facing toward the the inner pot on top of the trivet.
- Set the lid on and lock it. Set the Manual or Pressure function to High and the time 25-30 minutes (25 minutes for low altitude and 30 for high altitude)
- Do a natural release for 10 to 15 minutes and then a quick release. Remove the ribs using tongs and set them onto a platter.
- While waiting on the natural release, heat up your grill to high.
- Turn the grill down to medium and put the ribs on the grate, meat side down, and close the lid of the grill.
- After 5 minutes, flip the ribs and cook on the bone side for 3 to 5 minutes, with the lid of the gill closed.
- The ribs should be well browned with some char. Remove to a platter.
- Tent with foil and let rest for 5 to 10 minutes. To serve, between every two ribs, cut half way between the bones to separate into pieces with two bones each. If the rack has some small bones at the end, cut that end to have three bones, instead of two bones.
If you have an Air-fryer lid for your Instant Pot, you can finish your ribs using the Air-fryer lid. See Steps 11 to 17 here: https://retirementrvdream.com/2020/03/12/instant-pot-and-air-fryer-lid-dry-rub-pork-ribs/