I had a package of pork ribs in the fridge and I love making ribs in my Instant Pot. They are made quickly and are very tender. Bruce and I did a side by side comparison of cooking ribs in the oven wrapped in foil and cooked in the Instant Pot. The ribs cooked in the Instant Pot won! The only down side to cooking the ribs in the Instant Pot was having to brown them up under the broiler or on the gas grill. If I used the broiler, I had another pan to wash.
Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 3 lbs rack of pork spare ribs
- Your favorite dry rub
- liquid smoke
- 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar or apple cider
- 3/4 cup of water
- Pull the silver skin off the pork ribs.
- Cut the rack of ribs into two pieces.
- Lightly sprinkle some liquid smoke onto the pork ribs and rub in
- Sprinkle dry rub over the ribs and rub it in. The ribs should be well coated.
- Add the apple cider vinegar and water to the inner pot of the Instant Pot.
- Turn on the Saute function for 5 minutes while the dry rub sits on the ribs. This will heat up the liquid and make the Instant Pot come up to pressure sooner.
- Once the Saute function is done, hit cancel and add the trivet to the inner pot of the Instant Pot.
- Carefully, stand the ribs along the edge of the Instant Pot with the meat side facing out (toward the the inner pot) on top of the trivet.
- Set the lid on and lock it. Set the Manual or Pressure function to High and the time 25-30 minutes (25 minutes for low altitude and 30 for high altitude)
- I’ll admit, I just did a quick release, but most recipes call for a natural release for 10 to 15 minutes and then a quick release.
- Remove the ribs to a plate and empty out the fluid from the inner pot.
- Put the inner pot back in with the trivet and put the ribs in the pot so the meat side is up and they are leaning in toward the middle of the pot.
- Put the Instant Pot Air Fryer lid on top of the Instant Pot.
- Set the broil function to 400 degrees F and the timer to 15 minutes.
- When the timer beeps, remove the Air Fryer lid and place it on the Air Fryer Lid resting pad
- The ribs should be browned nicely.
- Carefully remove the ribs and enjoy!
Next time, I make this I will take pictures of the food and add them.