These are a nice appetizer for vegetarians or vegans. They are also dairy free.
- 24 button or cremini mushrooms, cleaned and stem removed (save the steams for use in this recipe)
- 1/2 cup diced onion (1/2 onion)
- 1/4 cup diced celery (1 to 2 ribs of celery)
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced or put through a garlic press
- 1/2 cup cracker crumbs – break your favorite crackers up into about 1/4 inch pieces or smaller or you can use panko bread crumbs. You do not want superfine crumbs. You could use gluten-free crackers to make this gluten-free. I use either my own sourdough crackers or Saltines.
- 1/2 cup of vegetable stock or water (Enough stock to damp the cracker crumbs.)
- 1 teaspoon of Greek seasoning or 1/2 teaspoon oregano and 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon of fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1 to 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil, you need enough vegetable oil to lightly cover the bottom of the skillet (If you eat butter, you can use butter here.)
- Cooking spray or 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
Knife, cutting board, medium sized skillet, rimmed baking sheet or roasting pan or a couple of cake pans
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Slice the mushrooms steams in half length wise, and then about 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch across them.
- Lightly cover the bottom of the skillet with vegetable oil and the skillet over medium-high heat.
- When the oil starts to shimmer, add the onions, celery, and mushroom steams to the oil and sauté until the onions are soft and translucent. (About 10 to 15 minutes)
- Add the garlic and sauté for about 30 seconds. You should be able to smell the garlic cooking in the pan.
- Add the cracker crumbs to the skillet and stir in herbs, salt and pepper.
- Add the vegetable stock and stir until the stuffing mixture has been dampened.
- Remove the skillet from heat and let cool enough that you can handle it.
- Lightly oil the pan(s) you are using to bake the mushrooms by using the cooking spray or the the vegetable oil.
- Taking a tablespoon, scoop up the stuffing for a heaping tablespoon and add it to the mushroom cap (steam side) . The stuffing should fill the inside the mushroom cap and also be mounded up outside of the cap.
- Put the mushroom cap in the oiled pan with the stuffing side up.
- Once all the mushrooms caps have stuffed and placed in the pan(s), if you have leftover stuffing, put it around the mushrooms.
- Put the mushrooms in the pre-heated oven and bake for 20 minutes until piping hot and liquid starts to form under the caps.
The left over stuffing can be set aside to be eaten later.