This is dish was inspired by the Vegetarian Dinner Parties: 150 Meatless Meals Good Enough to Serve to Company by Bruce Weinsten and Mark Scarbrough “Pear Risotto, Gorgonzola, Dill” recipe. I couldn’t find pear nectar in the local grocery stores, and didn’t have enough time to order it online, so I used water instead. Since eating Gorgonzola gives me migraines, I replaced it with more Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese.
Serves 8 as a small plate
- 4 cups water or 3 cups water and 1 cup pear nectar
- 1 tbsp finely grated lemon zest
- 1 tbsp minced dill fronds
- 4 tbsp (1/2 stick of butter) cut into small bits
- 1 large shallot, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups Arborio rice (It is very important to use this type of rice.)
- 1/2 cup dry vermouth or white wine with pear notes
- 2 Bosc pears, peeled, cored, and diced (The original recipe called for Comice pears.)
- 2 oz of Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, finely grated (about 1/2 cup)
- 3 oz Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese for the garnish (If you enjoy blue cheese, you can use 3 oz of Gorgonzola, but Gorgonzola causes me to have migraines, so I shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano for the garnish instead.)
- Chives or dill for additional garnish (optional)
- Turn on the Instant Pot saute function to melt the butter. Add all the butter to the pot. Once the butter has melted, add the shallot and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 4 minutes. Add the rice and stir for 1 minute to toast.
- Add the wine and bring to a full simmer, and cook, stirring often until the rice is almost dry.
- Add the lemon zest, dill, pears and water to the Instant Pot and stir. Let the water come to a boil. Cancel the saute function.
- Set the Pressure function to high and the time to 8 minutes. Close up the Instant Pot and press the start button. Once done, use the quick release.
- Remove the lid and stir in the 2 oz of grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese. Stir until thick and creamy, up to 2 minutes.
- To serve, divide into 6 servings, and shave the Parmesan over each serving or crumble the Gorgonzola over the top of each serving. Snip chives or dill over each serving to add just a bit of color.
The pears should smell sweet and ripe. Unripe pears won’t contribute anything to this final dish.
Only use risotto rice – Arborio, Carnaroli, and Vialone Nano.
Do not replace the Parmigiano-Reggiano with the Gorgonzola in the risotto, as it will overpower the other ingredients.