I wanted to make an easy dinner and make it low FODMAP. I looked in the fridge and considered my options. I decide on a sheet dinner with chicken, carrots, bell peppers, mushrooms, and potatoes. While mushrooms are not low FODMAP, they don’t bother Bruce. Once again, I forgot to take a picture, but this picture of roasted potatoes gives you the idea.
- 2 chicken thighs, bone in with skin
- 1 lemon, cut in half
- 6 carrots, peeled and cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups of small red potatoes, washed and cut into quarters
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups of Cremini mushrooms, cleaned and cut into quarters (not low FODMAP)
- 2 red or yellow bell pepper, sliced lengthwise into 1/4 to 1/2 inch strips
- 1/4 cup garlic infused oil or olive oil or vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Other spices to taste, I used Frontier berbere spice mix as well as some other spices.
Cutting board, vegetable peeler, knife, half sheet pan, aluminum foil (for easy clean up – optional), paper towels, small bowl
- Turn the oven on to pre-heat to 425 degrees F.
- Line the half sheet pan with the aluminum foil, if using.
- Squeeze both lemon halves into the bowl. Mix the lemon juice with 2 tablespoons of oil from the 1/4 cup of oil. Dip both sides of the chicken into the lemon and oil mixture. Then salt and pepper both sides of the chicken thighs, and sprinkle with the herbs and/or spices you are using. I used Frontier berbere spice mix.
- Set the chicken thighs, skin side up, on one of short sides of the sheet pan.
- Put the carrots in a row about 2 to 3 inches from the chicken thighs.
- Put the mushrooms in a row next to the carrots.
- Put the pepper strips in a row next to the mushrooms.
- Put the potatoes in a row next to the carrots.
- Drizzle the rest of garlic infused oil over the vegetables in the pan. Toss the vegetables to coat with the oil.
- Salt and pepper the carrots, pepper strips, potatoes, and mushrooms to taste. You can also sprinkle herbs or spices on to the vegetables. Ginger is nice on carrots. Rosemary works great on the potatoes, as does paprika and cayenne. For the mushrooms, cumin and red pepper flakes make a nice combo.
- Once the oven has pre-heated to 425 degrees F, put the sheet pan into to the oven and cook until the chicken skin is crispy and the temp in the chicken thigh is 165 degrees F. This takes about 40 to 45 minutes. After taking the sheet pan from the oven, lightly tent the pan with aluminum foil for 10 minutes to let the chicken rest.
Serve with a side salad with a low FODMAP dressing.