Hienie’s Market had fresh green beans and I bought a pound. I was considering how to cook them without heating up the house, when I ran across a recipe from Bon Appetit https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/blistered-green-beans-with-garlic. It sounded delicious, but I didn’t want to cook it on the stove, so I took it to the grill.
Bruce and I ate all of the beans for supper, and Bruce was looking for more!
Serves 2 to 4
- 1 pound of fresh green bean
- 4 large mushrooms
- 1/3 cup of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon coarse sea salt or kosher salt
- 6 large cloves of garlic
- 1 teaspoon of red pepper flakes (less if you don’t like spice)
- 2 teaspoons of capers
Grill, large skillet, small skillet, tongs
- If using a gas grill turn it to high. If using a charcoal grill, set it up.
- Put 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in the large skillet and the rest of the oil in the small skillet
- Peel and thinly slice the garlic. Add it to the small skillet and add the red pepper flakes and capers to the small skillet.
- Put the small skillet with the olive oil and garlic, red pepper flakes, and capers onto the stove on low heat. This take a long time to cook, so it should be done first. It will be ready when the garlic is slightly brown and crispy.
- Wash and snap the beans, removing the stem end of the bean. Pat the beans dry with a kitchen towel or paper towels
- Brush or wash the mushrooms and dry them. Slice the mushrooms.
- Toss the green bean and mushrooms in the large skillet so the olive oil covers the beans using the tongs or your hands.Q Sprinkle with the salt
- Put the large skillet with beans and mushrooms on the grill. Turn the gas grill down to medium. If using a charcoal grill, you should be able to hold your hand over the coals for 3 seconds. Put the lid on the grill
- When the beans brown on the skillet side down, toss them with your tongs. This takes about 5 minutes. Make sure to have the mushrooms on the bottom of the skillet. Make sure to put the lid on the grill.
- Check on the garlic, you may want to stir it so it browns evenly.
- Check on the beans in 3 minutes, you may want to toss them one more time, depending on how blistered you want them.
- Remove the beans from the grill and put the hot skillet on a heat resistance surface.
- Using the tongs, remove the beans to a serving platter or plate them on individual plates.
- Spoon the garlic, red pepper flakes, capers, and oil over the green beans and mushrooms.
Do not use a non-stick skillet on the grill.
Cast iron works great for this recipe.