I bought strawberries at Costco and they were sweet and delicious. I have rhubarb growing in my garden and I introduced the strawberries to the rhubarb in a pie. Strawberry rhubarb pie is one of Bruce’s favorite pies.
Makes a 9 inch pie
- 4 cups of quartered strawberries (1 quart)
- 4 cups of rhubarb, cut into 1/2 inch pieces (5 to 6 large stalks)
- 3/4 cup of sugar
- 3/4 cup of flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
You can use your favorite pie crust recipe or bought pie crust. You need double crust recipe or 2 crust if you are buying a pie crust. I used King Arthur Flour’s All-Butter Pie Crust. https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/all-butter-pie-crust-recipe I am not going to describe how to make a pie crust as the King Arthur Flour site does such a great job. I am listing out the ingredients for the all butter pie crust.
- 2 1/2 cups (298g) King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour or 2 1/2 cups (283g) Pastry Flour Blend
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons (28g) buttermilk powder, optional
- 16 tablespoons (227g) unsalted butter, cold*
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup (57g to 113g) ice water
9 inch pie pan, rolling pin, large pot, half sheet pan, cooling rack
- Make your pie crust dough, divide the dough, and make two disks, and put in the fridge for at least 30 minutes, but an hour works better
- While your pie crust dough is chilling in the fridge, make the filling
- Wash, hull, and cut your strawberries into quarters
- Wash and cut along your rhubarb stalks in 1/2 inch increments
- Combine the strawberries, rhubarb, sugar, salt, cardamon, cinnamon, lemon juice, vanilla, and flour in the large pot, and heat over medium low, stirring frequently until thickened. Take off the heat and let cook to room temp while the pie crust chills.
- Turn the oven on to 400 degrees F to preheat. Set one of the racks to the lowest rung on the oven.
- Roll out the bottom crust out into a 12 to 13 inch round and put it into the pie pan. I fold my crust in half and then fold the half in half. Then I put the crust into the pie pan with the point in the middle of the pie pan and unfold it. Gently easy the crust along the pie pan walls, letting the weight of the crust pull the crust down. Do not press the pie crust into the sides of the pie pan, as it can make the pie crust thinner and it can tear
- Trim the edge to 1/2 of the rim
- Put the pie pan into the fridge
- Roll out the top crust out into a 12 inch round and if you want to cut out shapes, do so now
- Take the pie pan out of the fridge and add the strawberry rhubarb filling to the pie pan
- Put the top pie crust over the filling. (I fold my crust in half and then fold the half in half. Then I put the crust into the pie pan with the point in the middle of the pie pan and unfold it.) Crimp the crust together and cut slits into the top crust.
- Put the pie on the sheet pan, then put the sheet pan with the pie on it on the bottom rack into the preheated 400 degrees F oven
- Bake until the crust is golden brown, for about 45 minutes. Turn the pie at 20 minutes so it can bake evenly.
- Once the pie is cooked, remove it from the oven and move it to the cooling rack.
- Let the pie cool completely before slicing, at least 8 hours.
Whipped cream is very good as a topping for the pie.