I started from the Lazy Day Beef Stew from the The Rootitoot Cookbook, by Ruth “Rootitoot” McCusker. I changed the recipe a good bit to make it low FODMAP and then I simplified a couple of steps to make an even easier “dump” stew. This recipe can even be made with frozen beef cubes.
- 1 1/2 cup of water
- 2 teaspoons of beef Better than Bouillon
- 2 Tablespoons of no FODMAP Tomato Paste
- 2 Tablespoons of no FODMAP Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Tablespoons of soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon of brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon of balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 celery stalks, sliced into 1/4 to 1/2 inch slices
- 3 to 4 carrots, pealed and sliced into 1″ pieces
- 2 cups of scrubbed red-skinned potatoes, cut into 1″ pieces
- 2 roasted hot peppers, skin removed, sliced into 1/4 to 1/2 inch slices (Optional)
- 3 to 4 pounds beef shoulder roast, cut into 1″ cubes (fresh or frozen)
- 3 Tablespoons of tapioca flour (can use cornstarch instead)
- 4 Tablespoons of water
- 4 Tablespoons fresh chopped parsley for garnish (optional)
Instant Pot, wooden spoon, small bowl, fork, knife, cutting board, peeler
- Add all the ingredients to the Instant Pot, up to and including the beef shoulder roast. Leave out the 3 tablespoons of tapioca flour and 4 tablespoons of water.
- Stir the ingredients in the Instant Pot so the onion and garlic powder are mixed in.
- Put the lid on, make sure the valve is set to Sealing. Set the Pressure Cook (or Manual) to 25 minutes.
- When the Instant Pot beeps after 25 minutes of pressure, leave it for 10 minutes of natural release, then do a quick release. Once the pin drops, remove the lid.
- Hit Cancel, then Saute. Let the stew come to boiling.
- While the stew is coming to boil, mix the 3 tapioca flour with the 4 tablespoons of water in the small bowl with a fork until there is a smooth slurry.
- Stir the slurry into the stew with the wood spoon.
- Boil 3 to 5 minutes after the tapioca slurry has been added to thicken the stew.
- Hit Cancel.
- Serve the stew in bowls and sprinkle the parsley over the stew in the bowls.
You can use 1 1/2 cup beef broth instead of the 1 1/2 cup of water and 2 teaspoons of Better than Bouillon.
You could use 1/2 a bell pepper instead of two hot peppers.
This stew is very good over polenta.