I’ve been wanting a cheese steak sandwich for a while, so I decided to make cheese steak sandwiches for supper recently.
- 1/2 pound of thinly sliced rib eye steak
- 1 medium size onion
- 1/2 bell pepper
- 4 oz Manchego or Swiss cheese, feel free to add more cheese if you like it cheesy.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, if using a non-stick skillet, only 1 tablespoon of oil is needed
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 4 pieces of sliced bread or 2 hoagie buns, if you use gluten free bread, this would be gluten free
Skillet, grater, knife, cutting board, wooden spoon
- Toast the sliced bread or buns, if you want them toasted.
- Peel the onion and cut in half from the root to the crown. Remove the root and slice the onion into 1/4 inch slices from the root to the crown.
- Wash and cut the bell pepper in half. Seed the bell pepper and slice the pepper from the top to the bottom in 1/4 inch slices.
- Grate the cheese or thinly slice it. I sliced it, and while it came out, I think it would have been better grated.
- Heat up the oil in the skillet over medium heat until it shimmers.
- Toss the sliced onion and bell pepper into the skillet. Fry until the onion is translucent and the bell pepper is soft.
- Either remove the onion and bell pepper or move them to one side of the skillet. (I moved mine to one side of the skillet.)
- Add three to four slices of the steak and as soon as it is brown on the skillet side, turn it and cook until brown on the second side. Move the steak to the side with the onion and bell pepper, or remove it from the skillet. Repeat until all the steak is used up.
- Stir the steak and onion and bell pepper together in the skillet. Let heat up for about 30 seconds to a minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle cheese over the steak, onion, and bell pepper mixture in the skillet. Stir until the cheese melts.
- Scoop up the steak, onion, bell pepper, and cheese mixture and put it on 2 pieces of sliced bread and top with the other 2 pieces of bread or put it in the 2 hoagie buns.
I found the sliced steak at the Ocean Pacific market.